Since 1902 the Holyoke Public Library has occupied the block between Maple, Essex, Chestnut, and Cabot Streets. In addition to being the City’s library, its long history has included housing an extensive collection of art and a natural history museum.
Much effort has gone into the preparation and planning of this project to retain decorative and historic elements of the old building while integrating principles of sustainability into the construction of the new building. The $14.5 million Library project renovated the 109 year old historic building using ‘green’ building techniques for the expansion, utilizing sustainable building materials, energy efficient lighting, non-toxic paints and protective landscaping. In addition to the $5.5 million borrowed by the City, the project has attained $4.3 million in state funds, $4.6 million of funding through the Library Board’s endowment and generous contributions that include a $200,000.00 donation from People’s Bank.
With construction by the local company Fontaine Brothers and project management by D.A. Sullivan, the renovated library was completed and opened to the public on October 28, 2013. The new Library includes a new teen room, a computer lab and classroom, quiet study and tutoring rooms, a variety of comfortable reading areas, and a spacious community room for public meetings and events. Patrons have access to Wi-Fi throughout the building.
To learn more about the Holyoke Public Library, please visit their website.