Having been built in 1939, Lyman Terrace is the oldest of the Authority’s public housing properties. Uniquely located in the center of downtown Holyoke, a short block from City Hall, Lyman Terrace directly abuts the stores on High Street, making all units within walking distance to stores, restaurants and banks. Lyman Terrace is a short walk to the Holyoke Health Center, the Holyoke Canal Walk, the Holyoke Children’s Museum, The Volleyball Hall of Fame, Heritage Park and the Holyoke Transportation Center.
In August 2012, Mayor Alex Morse asked the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to suspend review of the Holyoke Housing Authority’s application for demolition of Lyman Terrace. Soon thereafter, Mayor Morse announced the formation of a partnership between the Holyoke Housing Authority (HHA), the City of Holyoke, the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency, the Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP), and the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development to address improvements to Lyman Terrace. Through rigorous community involvement, these organizations developed a concept plan for the area bordered by the first level canal, Lyman Street, Dwight Street, and High Street.
After an open procurement process to select a master developer in 2013, the Holyoke Housing Authority is now under agreement with The Community Builders (TCB) to develop the property, starting as early as 2015. Multiple financing streams for the project are currently being secured.
- Click here to view Mayor Morse’s decision to suspend demolition and form a partnership to address the future of Lyman Terrace.
- Click here to view the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the City, HHA, MassDevelopment, MHP, and DHCD.
- Click here to view the presentation from the Community Meeting on March 11, 2013.
- Click here to view the presentation from the Community Meeting on June 18, 2013.
- Click here to view the Final Report – “Study for the Revitalization of Lyman Terrace and its relationship to Center City Holyoke”.
- Lyman Terrace Site Plan Reveiw – Volume 1 – Part 1
- Lyman Terrace Site Plan Review – Volume 1 – Part 3
- Lyman Terrace Site Plan Review Volume 2